At Distelrath, the farm is our classroom and learning happens in the barn, in the shop and in the fields.
Our produce is grown using nutrient rich, organic methods. We pull weeds and pick pests in order to ensure healthy crops. All of our livestock are raised naturally, under the sun and sky. Our laying hens are free to eat grasses and insects and to have as much exercise as they wish. The animals all play a specific and integral role in a balanced and sustainable farm environment.
By tending crops and caring for livestock our students learn:
- Farm management and maintenance
- Responsibility and respect for animals
- Patience and planning
- Business and financial skills
- Animal husbandry
- Permaculture principles
- Gardening and harvesting
- Plant identification and uses
- Relationship with self, others and nature